“A cup that is full is useless.” – Chinese Proverb
“In the best books, great men talk to us, give us their most precious thought and pour their souls into ours.” – William Ellery Channing
Those who follow my posts and articles will observe that i sometimes write topics that either looks irrelevant or unimportant. But i want you to know that in business, what you term little and irrelevant usually make big differences.
Now back to today’s issue, the ability to learn constantly is one trait successful entrepreneurs have in common. In the world of business, change is constant and with change comes either business growth or decline.
For you to survive in a world of constant change, you must constantly update your knowledge base and one of the best ways to do this is by reading. For those who might take the time to go through my website, you will observe i have a column titled “business books review.” This is where i write my opinion about books i have read and feel it is worth sharing with my readers.
Being an entrepreneur, i know how tight my schedule is but i still make out time to read. I read for the following reasons:
1. I don’t want to be obsolete. i don’t want to be old fashioned. In the world we live in now, things change so rapidly that if you are not on guard, you might be left behind.
2. As an entrepreneur, i have to keep my eyes open for opportunities and by reading; i might come across business opportunities posing as problems.
3. I read to be updated on industrial and general trend. Trend can be a competitive advantage in business if you can spot it fast enough and take advantage of it. Now i am not an industrial analyst, but after the analyst have done the dirty work, i pick up their journals and see what they have to say and how it relates to me and my business.
4. I read to learn and be informed. As you know, to be a successful entrepreneur, you have to be a constant learner. Employees and self employed professionals are specialist but entrepreneurs are generalist so we need to read wide.
Now since i have explained to you why i read, you might want to know the kind of stuffs i read. Well, below are things i read and i will also recommend you read:
1. I read industrial magazines related to my business so i can be aware of changes in the industry.
2. I read business books, magazines and journals in general to develop my business skills and to see if i can spot a niche in another industry i am not involved in.
3. I read investment books, magazines and journals to increase my financial intelligence and improve my investing skills.
4. I read articles, blog posts and books published by my mentors.
5. I read autobiographies and biographies of successful entrepreneurs so that i can learn from their mistakes and success. I also read books written by successful entrepreneurs and that’s why i have a column on my website titled “Lessons from Successful Entrepreneurs.”
6. I read newspapers about happenings in the society. Remember societal problems are opportunities for smart entrepreneurs.
7. Lastly and most importantly, i read the bible to seek God’s advice, build my faith and gain spiritual understanding and wisdom.
In conclusion, i want to encourage you to improve your reading capacity. One thing i have come to observe is that; whenever i read a book, i learn something new. Before i drop my pen, i want you to always remember that “readers are leaders.”